The what?! I had no idea what this was but I’m nevertheless delighted that both Rachel at Tiddler Tales and Grainne at Hope From a Butterfly both nominated me. Turns out the Liebster Award is an award for new bloggers and helps people discover some blogs they maybe didn’t know about – who knew?
So, here are the rules of the Liebster Award –
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post or displaying it using a ‘widget’ or a ‘gadget’. (The best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
3. Answer the 11 questions about yourself.
4. Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
5. Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award. they should have less than 200 followers.
6. List these rules in your post.
Once you have written and published it, you then have to –
7. Inform the people that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster Award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!).
So, here we go –
1. What first inspired you to write a blog?
When my little boy started pre school I felt it was the first time since he was born that I had the opportunity to do something for myself – even just for a couple of hours a week. I have always loved writing and it was a huge part of my job before I became a stay at home mummy. I liked the idea of recording all our family’s adventures and so It’s A Mummy Thing came to be.
2. What is your favourite blog piece that you have written?
My favourite post is one I wrote about our visit to Santa’s Woodland Experience because it was such a wonderful day to put down on paper. The post I’m most proud of though is Trying To Let Go because it truly captures how I felt at a particular moment in time. I’m glad that my honesty resonated with people and I think I’ll enjoy reading that post when I’m older.
3. What is your favourite blog piece written by another blogger?
I really enjoyed a post this week by Cardiff Mummy Says – 11 Reasons To Think Twice Before Asking Someone If They’re Planning To Have Another Baby. I field this question all the time and it annoys me because I actually think it’s rude – especially coming from people you hardly know. So, while it’s a shame someone has had to write a ‘How (not) To’ guide about it, I fully intend to make the post into an A5 flyer and distribute it at any social occasions I attend.
4. What is your greatest achievement in life to date?
Gosh that’s some question! I actually do think it’s having Wonderboy because after our experience, I really do see it as an achievement. He was very hard to come by – we had a stressful and upsetting journey to have him which would test anyone’s limits, followed by the pregnancy from hell being sick up to 8 times a day for the whole 9 months! Yes, my greatest achievement is making it through all of that while still clinging onto my sanity – just.
More currently and on a far lighter note, building my own website for my blog is definitely one of my greatest achievements. I wanted to see if my brain still worked after not being at work for almost 4 years so I set myself the challenge. I had no knowledge of websites and did it from You Tube videos and Googling for tutorials and I’m pretty proud of the results – not bad for a newbie!
5. Where would you like to see yourself five years from now?
If you’d asked me this 5 years ago I could have reamed off a list of goals and achievements I was striving for. To be honest, I’m pretty happy with my lot at this point in my life. If I found myself in 5 years time still sitting at this breakfast bar, typing away with a healthy and happy family in the background, I’d be delighted.
6. Name one person who has inspired you most in life?
I don’t really have one particular person who has inspired me. I’ve found different qualities from different people have inspired me in various areas of my life.
7. What would be your dream holiday?
We’ve been lucky enough to go on some amazing holidays. My dream holiday was probably our honeymoon where we stayed at the Bellagio in Las Vegas (something off the bucket list) then flew to LA and did a road trip around Southern California. It was amazing and definitely my dream holiday for a couple!
Last year we took Wonderboy to Disney World in Florida – our first family holiday abroad. That was, and still is, my dream family holiday and I’d go back in a heartbeat. I’d love to take him back when he’s older and can do a bit more but I will never forget his little face lighting up at the complete wonder of it all. Without a doubt the best family holiday I can think of.
8. What are your top 3 goals to achieve in life?
To feel content.
To be paid to write something.
To own a KitchenAid mixer.
9. What is your favourite film of all time?
I don’t really have a particular favourite but Memoirs of a Geisha is easily the most beautiful film I’ve ever seen. I read the book when I was a teenager and I thought the film was fantastic.
10. If you won the lotto what would be your first major purchase?
I’d pay off our mortgage then I’d have plenty left over for dream holidays and KitchenAid mixers!!
11. From your own experience, what would be your number one tip or piece of advice for a first time parent?
Calm down, you’re doing great. Seriously, that’s the best advice I have. It’s an exciting time but it’s also overwhelming so please don’t strive for perfection because I don’t think it exists and it’s a pressure you can live without. All you can do is your best, and that’s definitely good enough.
11 Random Facts About Me
I pretty much have 10 covered on my About Me page so I’ll just add in number 11 …
I went to the same Youth Theatre group as actor, James McAvoy. That’s right ladies, I had a major crush on him long before he was rich and famous!!
I’m now passing the award to –
I’m not sure how ‘new’ you all are but you’re new to me! I love your blogs and you’ve got under 200 followers on Bloglovin so I think that’s ok! Looking forward to reading your posts x